Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hey, why not?

Every good buzz has to end. Man, I really hate that! I’ve spent the last week traveling and now the high of seeing great friends and interesting places is slowly giving way to the sobering return of my routine.

I didn’t make any resolutions this year per se, but I did make a list (which I am continually adding to) of things I would like to accomplish or integrate into my life this year. One of those things was to travel more for fun and not just to attend weddings back in Texas. I’ve also been adopting the motto, “why not?” It is just so often the correct response when presented with a new challenge or opportunity.

So I put my money where my mouth is and purchased a ticket to pop down to Austin to see a show with my sister. It all just seemed perfect. A singer/songwriter that my sister and I both love and have seen in concert was playing at my friend’s bar. I just couldn’t pass it up.

I really regret that I didn’t spend more time in Austin when I lived in Texas. Blame my Aggie brainwashing (all that orange hurts my eyes!!!) or my student worker salary or the fact I spent most of my time trekking to Dallas, but I really missed out. I have had such amazing times in my visits to Austin over the last couple of years – just great people and such personality.

Austin alone would be divine, but I decided to couple it with a trip to San Francisco to surprise my best friend for her baby shower. At first it seemed a little crazy and I hate to admit that I felt like I needed someone’s permission before I booked such an itinerary. Then my sister said something great to me, she said having that kind of freedom is “the beauty of my life.” This means a lot coming from my sister because I know she doesn’t aspire to have my kind of life. In fact, she probably sees me as a cautionary tale. However, I do have a flexible job, sustainable income, and no kids or husband to consider so why shouldn’t I just hop on a plane (or several) and go where I want to go? [insert Why not? here]

I must admit it was a great idea and a fabulous time! I was able to see some old friends, including my best friend from junior high school whom I hadn’t seen in 10 years! The show was great and I always have fun with my friends in Austin, including a growing crew of bartenders from DC.

San Fran was great as well and it was lovely to see my friend all glowing and pregnant. I got back on a redeye this morning and should have rested today, but instead I have been fighting sleep like a five-year-old the night before Christmas. I couldn’t help but feel a little let down today when I got home and the party was over. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll shake off this travel hangover and be ready to go full throttle into a short workweek and weekend back in DC!

1 comment:

KBJ said...

I am happy to have you back in DC! You work so hard I love that you were able to take a little time, even though I know you still work on "vacation".