Thursday, October 30, 2008

Happy 2-year Anniversary to DC and me!

Today marks my two-year anniversary at my job and living in DC. In some ways it seems like so much longer than that, and in others, like I just loaded up my U-haul truck and drove halfway across the country.

After months of phone interviews, follow-up calls, and shameless self promotion, I traveled to Washington, DC at the beginning of October 2006 for a face-to-face interview. I accepted the job on the spot, then went back to Texas and made preparations to move within three weeks. Although I was excited, I actually wasn’t sure I would like DC. I’ve had a lifelong infatuation with Manhattan and was even fortunate enough to work there in 2005, and I just wasn’t sure how our nation’s capital would compare. But looking back over the last two years, I know moving here was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Still, it’s been a surprising journey…one that continues to shock the hell out of me. If you had told me two years ago all that was ahead of me, I would have told you that you were crazy. I would never have believed that I would:

  • be promoted to Communications Director;
  • end a six-year relationship…and this time for good;
  • move in with two total strangers (who would both end up having a Texas connection) and one of them would end up becoming one of my closest friends;
  • be single, living on my own, and ok with that;
  • actually get rid of my storage unit and make a real home in DC; and that I would
  • have met so many intriguing people from across the nation who would challenge and change me.

All this makes me wonder how different my life will be in the next two years, or five years, or 10 years. I’m a bit impatient so of course I want to know now, but I guess I have to just settle in and enjoy the ride.

No comments: