Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Tour O'Texas

So the last three weeks have been an amazing journey emotionally, professionally, and physically. I spent five days in Minneapolis for my biggest work event of the year and I have to say I kicked a little ass. This year I wrote four speeches for the president of our organization and was basically running around like a wild woman dealing with other communications issues that came up during the meeting, but it was completely satisfying and enjoyable.

Then I traveled to Texas, and for once a canceled flight enhanced my trip. Since I couldn’t make it to Austin due to my grounded MD-80, I was able to have an unscheduled night in Dallas with my adorable sister Haley. I stayed in her dorm and everything. To top it off, she made me a fabulous tour o’Texas CD (playlist included below), which was the PERFECT soundtrack for all the driving I did across the Lone Star State.

My Texas tour was pretty great. I don’t know if it was the fact that I had my own rental car or that I was triple booked most of the time or just that I got to see so many amazing people, but the trip rocked! Unlike other visits home, I would do every bit of it again. Within five days I visited Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston. I barely drive in DC so it was really nice to get behind the wheel with the windows down and nothing in front of me but beautiful music and Texas highways.

The whole purpose of the trip was to be in my friend’s wedding and it was such a lovely night. I made it through my toast without crying and stuttering (maybe that shot of Jack did help?) and danced into the night with two of my closest girlfriends. I met some really cool people and had a really fun after party.

I spent a little time with the fam in Houston and then cruised back to Austin and finally back home to DC.

My first day back in the office, I found out my supervisor had given her notice and I am being promoted to Director of Communications!!! I have to say, this was unexpected. I thought I had at least another year before she would leave and this would be an option. While I am completely excited, I am honestly a bit freaked out! It’s all official May 8th. In the meantime, I have to hire my replacement, learn all I can before she leaves, and pack to move into my new office. I am sure I will have more to say on this in the future, but for now it is all just a little surreal.

Thanks to all of you who made my trip so wonderful!

Tour O’Texas 2008
1. Capitol City – Matt Wertz
2. I Will Not Take My Love Away – Matt Wertz
3. Counting to 100 – Matt Wertz
4. Nothing Fancy – Dave Barnes
5. Until You – Dave Barnes
6. The Sweetest Goodbye – Brian Douglas Phillips
7. Gravity – Sara Bareilles
8. Where I Stood – Missy Higgins
9. Bottom of the Barrel – Amos Lee
10. Colors – Amos Lee
11. Better Together – Jack Johnson
12. 5:19 – Matt Wertz
13. Sweetness in Starlight – Matt Wertz
14. World Spins Madly On – The Weepies
15. Stand Still, Look Pretty – The Wreckers
16. The Good Kind – The Wreckers
17. Love Song – Sara Bareilles

No comments: